Feeding cats

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
Tulip
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Feeding cats

Post by Tulip »

Hi

I am looking for new pet food ideas. I've been making my cat batches raw ground rabbit mixed with vitamins, that I need to put in jars and freeze. I found the recipe here: http://catnutrition.org/recipes.html

What I read on Wai's site is now making me have second thoughts about it. Does anyone know if there is a better way out there to feed a cat? I am particularly interested in RRM's approach to feeding pets.
Monique

Re: Feeding cats

Post by Monique »

my dog eats raw chicken, beef, veal, oxheartn yolks
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Originally posted by Tulip:
Does anyone know if there is a better way out there to feed a cat? I am particularly interested in RRM's approach to feeding pets.
I believe that cats and dogs cannot cope with mutagenics and carcinogenics any better than we do, so we should not give them any cooked foods either; all raw.
Frozen is not that bad, if it helps you to be able to feed your dog/cats raw meat.
Its very important that what you feed them, also contains enough fat, so the protein contents are not too high (causing scaly/itchy skin for example)
Our cats love some salmon occasionally (about once a week) and one of them loves tuna. They are really crazy about chicken hearts, maybe because of the fat and good cholesterol.
They dont like ox heart, but dogs very much do.
Cats and dogs both love beef as well, of course, and they (some more than others) also like veal and chicken.
And, of course, the dog needs bones.

Since they all have been eating raw meat since they were young, we dont have to watch how much we give them, only how much they want to eat; their appetite is regulated naturally (except for one cat, which we found half-starved in a garbage-container, and who still always thinks she shlould eat as much as possible).

Im not sure whether I've answered your question(s).

Oh, and when one of the cats (or dog) is wounded from a fight, or sick from eating something bad from the streets, and they cant/wount eat their normal food, we give them egg yolks, which they take as if its a medicin. Which it is, actually; stuffed with nutrients and energy and not containing connective tissue (nor fiber of course). Its amazing how fast they recover.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Originally posted by RRM:
[QB]I believe that cats and dogs cannot cope with mutagenics and carcinogenics any better than we do, so we should not give them any cooked foods either; all raw.
Frozen is not that bad, if it helps you to be able to feed your dog/cats raw meat.
Its very important that what you feed them, also contains enough fat, so the protein contents are not too high (causing scaly/itchy skin for example)
Our cats love some salmon occasionally (about once a week) and one of them loves tuna. They are really crazy about chicken hearts, maybe because of the fat and good cholesterol.
They dont like ox heart, but dogs very much do.
Cats and dogs both love beef as well, of course, and they (some more than others) also like veal and chicken.
And, of course, the dog needs bones.
Why do you say the dog needs them? I read that cats need to eat a 1:1 ratio of bones to meat or else they start to feed off their own bones. Have you heard this?

Also, is it safe to say that cats need the same nutrients humans do, and use different animal meat, bones and egg yolks, and see what they prefer? Or should I just keep adding the vitamin supplements?
nick

Post by nick »

Also, where is the best place to get such foods for our dogs and cats. My cats love the egg yolk and my dogs, but I think they need more. I give it to them as a snack when I eat my yolks. I feel that they would much happier and healthier with their raw diet!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Tulip
Why do you say the dog needs them?
Dogs are related to hyenas, unlike cats, which are related to wild cats (scavengers versus hunters), with the accompanied difference in teeth and overal nutrient requirements.
I read that cats need to eat a 1:1 ratio of bones to meat or else they start to feed off their own bones. Have you heard this?
No, thats nonsense.
Also, is it safe to say that cats need the same nutrients humans do
No, its very different. Cats make their own vitamin C, for example. What they need, is in their natural food.
, and use different animal meat, bones and egg yolks, and see what they prefer?
They dont need bones, but yes, see what they prefer.
Or should I just keep adding the vitamin supplements?
They dont need supplements. They need their natural foods. Supplements can only have an adverse effect (if the cats are fed well)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Nick:
Also, where is the best place to get such foods for our dogs and cats.
The butcher.
Hope he has good meat; really raw, as far as that is still possible today (with the radiation and all).
My cats love the egg yolk and my dogs, but I think they need more.
Yes, raw meat!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Originally posted by nick:
[qb]My cats love the egg yolk and my dogs...[/qb]
Wow, what aggressive cats!! :D

(sorry, couldn't resist :) )

What about organic butchers? Maybe their meat is 'cleaner'?
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Originally posted by RRM:
[qb]Dogs are related to hyenas, unlike cats, which are related to wild cats (scavengers versus hunters), with the accompanied difference in teeth and overal nutrient requirements.[/qb]
I almost forgot... my cat actually picks out bits of bone from the plate and likes to chew and swallow them, even after she had meat. What could that mean?
And if I started serving more natural food, is it better as whole prey, cut up or ground?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

If your cat eats the bones, it feels that it needs the nutrients from the marrow (mostly fat, some protein, iron). Apparently it doesn't get (enough of) those nutrients through the rest of the food.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Oscar wrote:If your cat eats the bones, it feels that it needs the nutrients from the marrow (mostly fat, some protein, iron). Apparently it doesn't get (enough of) those nutrients through the rest of the food.
I will keep that in mind.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll do my best.