HOW STRICT ARE WE (on average) ?! --- monthly survey

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.

HOW STRICT ARE YOU?!

I follow Wais recommendations as a general guideline while still eating conventionally (= cooked food diet)
15%
I am on and (completely) off Wai's diet regularly
9%
Generally clean with munch food intake every (few) day(s)
21%
I intend to avoid munch food but occasionally I slip off the sample diet
6%
I only have "minor" compromises (like wasabi /ginger/soy sauce with the fish for example...)
9%
100% - no compromises
12%
100% + I don’t eat nuts
6%
100% + I don’t eat dried fruits
No votes
100% + I don't eat nuts or dried fruits
18%
oh, I am even more strict than that (write your diet in a reply to this poll question please)
6%

Total votes: 34
Cairidh
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Cairidh »

CurlyGirl wrote:I'm posting this because I thought it might be helpful to some folks out there to see the process of analysing and 'tweaking' one's diet.
how weird I was getting more calcium and iron on a 100% fruit diet than you are eating nutrient dense foods :shock:
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

nick wrote:CurlyGirl,

I would definitely increase your intake of yolks! I noticed a subtle but noticeably improvement in my mood, probably because of the cholesterol, plus it is a great source of iron and zinc.
She already eats 4 per day! How many do you eat?
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

CurlyGirl wrote: So, looking at both calculators' versions of my diet, it seems I need to find better sources of iron, zinc, vit D, and niacin.
You could do with more calcium too. The massive amounts recommended are harmful but Africans eat about 500mg per day, and your 300mg is a bit low....
Raw Sardines including bones???
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

huntress wrote:Cairidh :D

I still do crave for dates... :(
Have you tried fresh dates? They're very different to dried, they might not make you break out.
huntress wrote:
I looked up on Wikipedia for fruitarianism and found that Banana is technically a herb?
oh how weird! I thought it was a berry. Am I not allowed to eat in then? (on a fruit diet...)
nick

Post by nick »

Cairidh wrote:
nick wrote:CurlyGirl,

I would definitely increase your intake of yolks! I noticed a subtle but noticeably improvement in my mood, probably because of the cholesterol, plus it is a great source of iron and zinc.
She already eats 4 per day! How many do you eat?

I usually eat 8 to 10, sometimes 12. Females need more cholesterol because they go their montly fluctuations. But then again, eat only what your body feels like. I thought it was something she could try out.
huntress

Post by huntress »

Wow nick, 12 egg yolks per day?! Do you eat them all at once ? I find it hard to eat 6 eggs yolks a day because I am always active. I eat my yolks during the night and only eat 2 at a time then another 2 after 2 hours or so. By then, I'll be sleepy and still have another 2 to go.

So how do you eat your egg yolks nick?
huntress

Post by huntress »

Cairidh, :)

I've tried fresh dates too. The thing is, like you, I'll eat the whole bag of dates and then throw my blood sugar level off balance, hence, the breakout. I can NEVER be satiated with just 2-3 dates. :wink:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Apparently the banana 'tree' is technically a herb, and the 'fruit' a false berry, what ever that is. :)
huntress wrote:...I'll eat the whole bag of dates and then throw my blood sugar level off balance...
With dried fruits it's important to get enough fats, for that reason.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Thanks for your recommendation, nick. I am perfectly willing to eat more yolks - I love them, so I will find ways to increase my intake during the day (and incorporate a rest-period thereafter). Fortunately it's easy on days when I'm researching or writing, because I sit most of the day anyway, so I could technically eat yolks every hour!

So bananas are 'false berries' now, or even 'herbs', eh? Makes no difference to me, frankly... I wouldn't be able to survive on this diet without bananas! My psychological well-being positively demands the creamy puddingness of a luscious, ripe, speckled banana and its heady perfume... herb or not!

Thanks, Cairidh, for your concerns regarding my calcium intake. I don't quite fancy the idea of raw sardines with the bones in, though... also, I am quite convinced by RRM's view that if the calcium comes from an easily-absorbable organic source (rather than, say, milk, or - worse still - the chalk that is used in commercial calcium supplements), then my body will adjust its rate of absorption, and my bones will be less thick but actually stronger... I won't exhaust my osteoblasts and will therefore enjoy supple (i.e. less brittle) bones for life. But I will eat a few more figs and other fruits that are high in calcium, just to be sure.

Huntress :) - that photograph of the Barcelona fruit market was jaw-droppingly astonishing! Ooh, I am salivating!!
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Don't worry about too little zinc or selenium. Too many trace minerals are pro-oxidative, and much of mineral absorption can be traced to bioavailability . (1)
For instance,
the existing legislation for vitamins and minerals takes biological accessibility into account because RDAs are recommendations of intakes that are calculated from knowledge of population requirements and the average bioavailability of that nutrient in ‘normal’ foods.
(2)
In other words, RDAs are based upon a 'normal' diet in which the nutrients present a low bioavailability. On this diet hydrolytic enzymes do not have to deal with enzyme inhibitors and HCAs, and therefore the nutrients are of high bioavailability.

Also, trace mineral RDAs keep rising. In 1996 the RDA for selenium was 40 micrograms, while in 2006 the RDA has nearly doubled to 70 micrograms. This cannot be correlated to improved research on the health effects of selecnium because its role in cancer and disease prevention was already well established in the early 1990s. (4), (5), (6), (7), 8

(1) Effects of milk and milk components on calcium, magnesium, and trace element absorption during infancy.
Physiol Rev. 1997 Jul;77(3):643-69. Review.

(2) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... med_docsum
(4) Micronutrients (vitamins and min ... med_DocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... med_DocSum
huntress

Post by huntress »

With dried fruits it's important to get enough fats, for that reason
I tried that too...but after consuming all the delicious sweetness of the dates, fats taste nothing in comparison to dates, so I tend to avoid it, unfortunately. So the only way out is to avoid it once and for all. :cry:

The other day, I was at the organic store. I was staring at the box of medjool dates for a looonnngg time...Yeah, pathetic, I know. :wink:

CurlyGirl :D
My psychological well-being positively demands the creamy puddingness of a luscious, ripe, speckled banana and its heady perfume... herb or not!
Beautiful, beautiful description on the banana! You should write a poem on bananas! :lol:

The picture is heavenly indeed! I wish there is a place like that around my area. I would absolutely enjoy doing my shopping and it would make me feel like a child in a candy store with her big eyes wide with wonder, lips slightly parted and a tiny drool at the corner her mouth, carefully staring at the colourful richness of every single fruit. Oh, such heaven. :D
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

Maybe you could mix some nuts in with the dates, and try to eat about an equal amount? Mmm...I just discovered a raw bar called "Larabar." It's REALLY yummy! They have quite a few different flavors, and the ingredients are so simple - there's one called "Pecan Pie" and the ingredients are: Dates, Pecans, Almonds. That's it! Let me see if she has a website... Yup, www.larabar.com. You can only buy them by the box, though - It would probably be better to just make your own because they're not organic (yet) and that way you can make sure that all the ingredients are truly fresh - shell your own nuts, etc. They consider raw to be that they haven't reached over 118F, and they do say that the cashews are steamed to be removed form the shell so those would be avoided. It might be fun to throw the ingredients in a food processor and see what comes out:) Anyway, I just tried them out to see if they would make a good quick food for the Wai diet, but I think I'll try to make my own and see how it works out. They taste kind of like cookie dough...mmm...probably because of the dates. Anyway, there has to be some way you can fit the beloved dates in your diet;) Good luck!

~Amber
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

Gosh, those Larabars look delicious!

I am surprised that their shelf life is so long however - how can they remain for up to 12 months if they are unprocessed and contain only natural ingredients?

Take care,
James
x
nick

Post by nick »

huntress wrote:Wow nick, 12 egg yolks per day?! Do you eat them all at once ? I find it hard to eat 6 eggs yolks a day because I am always active. I eat my yolks during the night and only eat 2 at a time then another 2 after 2 hours or so. By then, I'll be sleepy and still have another 2 to go.

So how do you eat your egg yolks nick?
Well I usually eat them at once, just to make it easier regarding the resting period.

I like the idea of eating them after each other, however, I'm always moving around and doing stuff, ha. I love how satisfying they are! So good! But which do you prefer the most? sashimi or yolks?
huntress

Post by huntress »

Amber :D

Thank you for the recommendation, but again unfortunately, nuts even deshelling by hand, makes me breakout! :cry:
It's funny how my ultimate favourite foods make me breakout: Macadamia nuts, Brazil nuts and Dates. :(

Nick :)

I love both the sashimi and yolks. They both taste wonderful! But I prefer yolks due to fact that they don't contain as much protein as sashimi and that enables me to eat it as much as I want. Also, yolks contain more cholesterols than sashimi, which is highly beneficial for me.

Hmm...12 yolks at once...it will seem like you're eating a bowl of egg yolk soup. :wink: